Assertive Mentoring is our new behaviour programme and replaces the Assertive Discipline system which we used for a number of years. We feel the new programme of Assertive Mentoring is an excellent programme. The main changes your child and you will see is that we will not be using the sticker charts anymore and instead the children will be able to earn smileys and will be issued with a smiley card. The children then earn their smileys; they do this by a range of means:
- Exceptional work
- Good manners
- Working outstandingly well with others
- Showing good team work at playtimes
All members of staff in the school will be issued with smileys to be given to children displaying these qualities. We will continue to focus on rewarding good behaviour, work, manners, effort, attitude and team work. The children have their smileys marked off on their chart in groups of 10.
- 40 smileys earned – they will receive a pen/pencil with the school name on it
- 80 smileys earned – they will receive a mini set of colouring pencils in EYFS and a ruler for the rest of the school.
- 120 smileys earned – they will receive an Early Years colouring book (KS1) or a dictionary (KS2)
All children who receive 120 smileys across the year will be given a ticket to an end of year party.
This process begins anew each year. In addition to this, the children can continue to receive stickers which can be put on their jumper.
Running alongside this we will still have a set of sanctions for inappropriate behaviour – there have been no changes to these. Each teacher will still have a tracking sheet and pupils will be tracked for breaking school rules. Other consequences for breaking school rules follow below.
- Time out
- Missing time from playtime
- Sent to Head Teacher
- Letter home
- Fixed Term Exclusion
Parents were consulted on the changes to the behaviour policy in the summer term. The policy can be found in the school policies section.